"Lilikoi Chili Brined Sous Vide Pork Belly" on Olive Oil Focaccia with Jalapeño Herb Chimichurri
Recipes courtesy of Chef Jason Peel and the KCC Culinary Team
Lilikoi Chili Brined Sous Vide Pork Belly
Yield: 40, ¼” portions
2 Qt Water
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1/8 Cup Lilikoi Chili Pepper Salt Rub
3/8 Cup Kosher Salt
10 Pc Juniper
20 Pc Black Pepper Corn
2 Pc Bay Leaf
5 Pc Garlic Clove Crushed
10-12# Skinless Pork Belly cut into 2” by 8” “logs” or whatever size bag you have
- Combine ingredients (Except pork belly) and bring to a boil.
- Cool to 40` and brine portioned pork belly for 12-24 hours.
- Drain liquid to remove most liquid if not all.
- Place pork into vacuum sealed bags and cook sous vide at 64 degrees Celsius for 24 hours.
- Cool pork belly in ice for 4 hours.
- Heat pork in bag to warm pork jelly and remove from bag.
- Dry pork, slice into ¼ inch thick slices and cook in oil until crispy or sear on hot griddle. Serve immediately with jalapeño herb chimichurri.
Jalapeño and Herb Chimichurri
Yield: about 2.5 oz.
2 Tbs Finely Minced Onion
¼ tsp Finely Minced Garlic
¼ + tsp Lilikoi Chili Pepper Salt Rub
1 Tbs Mild Pure Olive Oil (Koroneiki, Arbequina, Chiquitia, etc.)
1 ½ tsp Jalapeno White Balsamic Vinegar
¼ tsp Lime Juice
1 Tbs Minced Chives
¼ Tbs Minced Cilantro
¼ Tbs Minced Mint
- Combine all ingredients. Season to Taste with salt and pepper. Serve as a dressing for seared Pork Belly or as an accompaniment to any other meat or fish dish. Wonderful on Steak, Pork, and Chicken.
Olive Oil Focaccia
Yield: 40 portions
Ingredients (Pre-fermented dough):
4 ½ oz Bread Flour
2 7/8 oz Water
¼ tsp Yeast
1/8 oz Salt
- Mix all ingredients until well incorporated in a mixer.
- Transfer to a container, allow to ferment 1 to 1 ½ hours at room temperature.
- Refrigerated overnight.
13 ½ oz Bread Flour
9 oz Water
1/8 oz Yeast
¼ oz Salt
1 1/8 oz Mild Pure Olive Oil (Koroneiki, Arbequina, Chiquitia, etc.)
7 ½ oz Pre-fermented dough mixture
Reserved Mild Pure Olive Oil as above (for oiling baking sheet and drizzling pre-bake)
- Combine all ingredients in mixer until thoroughly incorporated, about 1 minute. Cover bowl with plastic and let rest for 1 hour.
- Use greased bowl scraper or rubber spatula, fold dough over by lifting and folding the side toward middle. Turn bowl 90 degree and repeat 3 more time then flip the dough upside down. Cover with plastic and rest for another hour.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees or the highest setting of the oven 30 minute before dough is ready.
- Transfer the dough onto oiled sheet pan, gently stretch the dough to edges. Coat the dough with olive oil and poke the dough with finger to create indentions. Cover loosely with greased plastic and rest for 15 mins
- Place the pan of dough in oven and bake until top is golden brown, 25 to 30 mins, rotate pan halfway through baking. Remove pan from oven and let cool for 30 mins. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.