"Lemon Olive Oil Cake" with Pistachio-Cardamom-Orange Ice Cream, Olive Oil Pistachio Tuile & Chocolate Cremeux
All recipes courtesy of Chef Jason Peel and the KCC Culinary Team
Lemon Olive Oil Cake
Yield: 16 portions
2 Large Eggs
½ Cup + 2 Tbs Sugar
1 Lemon Zested and Juiced (Kept Separate)
Salt (To Taste)
1/3 Cup Dark Rum
1/3 Cup Whole Milk
¾ Cup Mild Pure Olive Oil (Koroneiki, Arbequina, Chiquitia, etc.)
1 Tbs Baking Powder
1 ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- Preheat oven to 400`
- Oil 8” pan (or something similar)
- Beat eggs in a bowl with sugar until pale and foamy.
- Add zest, milk, rum, salt, olive oil. Mix to combine
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Put mix in pan and bake 25-30 min. Cake should be slightly dark to top is crunchy.
- When cake is finished pour lemon juice over top and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove cake from pan and cool and reserve or eat warm.
Pistachio Cardamom and Orange Ice Cream
Yields about 2 cup= 16 portions
¾ Cup Whole Milk
4 Tbs Sugar
3 Tbs ‘Vincente’ Cream of Pistachio – Pistachio Butter
1 Cup Heavy Cream
10 Pc Green Cardamom
¼ Orange Zested
1 Vanilla Bean
3 Egg Yolk
½ Sheet Gelatin
- Bloom gelatin in ice water.
- Combine ½ cup heavy cream, eggs and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Combine milk, sugar, ½ cup heavy cream, cardamom, orange zest, vanilla bean (scraped) in a pot and bring to just under a boil. Allow to steep for 30 min.
- Bring milk mixture back to just under a boil.
- Slowly add milk mixture to eggs to temper.
- Add mixture back to pot and cook on medium heat until it is about the thickness of cold cream (Coats the back of a spoon).
- Add gelatin sheet (squeezed out water) and stir into mixture until totally dissolved.
- Strain and chill until it is completely cold.
- Churn in your ice cream makers according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Olive Oil Pistachio Tuile
Yield about 50 pieces
3 Tbs Mild Pure Olive Oil (Koroneiki, Arbequina, Chiquitia, etc.)
2/3 Cup Sugar
3 Egg Whites
¼ Cup + 3 Tbs AP Flour
1/8 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Pistachio, Chopped
1 Orange Zested
1 Tbs Black Sesame Seed
- Preheat oven to 300`
- Combine olive oil, sugar, egg whites, flour and salt in bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Heat Half Sheet pan with silpat until warm (helps to spread batter thin)
- Using an offset spatula, spread batter thin on silpat (about 4-6 ½ sheet pans worth)
- Sprinkle batter with nuts, orange zest and sesame seed
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, until golden brown.
- Use offset spatula to remove tuile from silpat. Break into pieces.
- You can also make rounds or squares. Use offset to remove immediately after coming out of oven.
- Roll tuile with hands in to cylinder or other shape or use mini muffin tin to shape.
Yields about 3 cups = 24 portions
13 oz Heavy Cream
8 oz Whole Milk
2.25 oz Sugar
5 Egg Yolk
10.75 oz 64% Chocolate (Chopped)
6 Leaves Gelatin
- Bloom gelatin in ice water until soft
- Mix sugar, eggs, salt in bowl.
- Scald milk and heavy cream in a pot
- Temper Egg Mixture with milk and pour it back into pot
- Cook until 185`
- Put chocolate and gelatin in a bowl and pour hot mixture over. Let stand for about 10 minutes to melt chocolate
- Stir gently to combine and pour into a mold to set.
- Cut and serve or beurre mix until smooth and pipe and serve.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.