3 Tablespoons *Organic Butter infused Olive Oil
1 medium chopped onion 2 cups vegetable broth
4 cups of peas (fresh or frozen) hand full of fresh flat leaf parsley hand full of fresh mint leaves salt & pepper to taste
chopped fresh chives to garnish
In a heavy pot over medium heat cook onion in olive oil just until soft. Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add peas and simmer till tender. Pour into blender and add parsley, mint, salt & pepper and puree till smooth. Add more broth if too thick.
Notes: Peas are fairly low in calories, contains almost every vitamin & mineral your body needs, high in fiber & protein. Peas also have a low glycemic index. Protein increases the levels of certain hormones that reduces appetite. Protein works with fiber to slow digestion. Fiber also feeds good bacteria important for gut health.
Parsley is known to detoxifies the body helps to ease strain on the kidneys. Mint helps with digestion.
RECIPE COURTESY OF SABRINA NAJARIAN
Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts Yield: 4 servings
Courtesy of Rebecca Woodland
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts — trimmed and halved
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (Bacon flavored olive oil is a favorite)
½ teaspoon sea salt
¼ teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Optional flavor addition: Maple balsamic vinegar (about 1Tablespoon)
- Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut in half through the stem end.
- Place a rack in the upper third of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the Brussels sprouts in the center of a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle with Bacon olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Gently mix until the Brussels sprouts are evenly coated, then spread them into a single layer on the baking sheet. For better crisping, flip the Brussels sprouts so that they are all cut sides down.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the Brussels sprouts are lightly charred and crisp on the outside and tender in the center. The outer leaves will be very dark too. Watch carefully towards the end of the baking time, as the cooking time will vary based on the size of your sprouts. Season with additional salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with Maple Balsamic. Toss to coat the sprouts. Put it back in the oven for 2 minutes. Enjoy immediately.
Feel free to experiment with various flavors of olive oil. Toss with your favorite herbs and/or spices.
All bold ingredients available at Island Olive Oil