Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Literally "perfect salad", this salad starts with a variety of fresh spring lettuces and greens and is dressed with extra virgin olive oil and good vinegars. (In Italy there is no such thing as "Italian Dressing".)
6-8 cups fresh leafy lettuces or other tender greens
1/4 small red onion (or 1 shallot), thinly-sliced
1 red radish, thinly sliced
1/2 medium carrot, thinly-sliced
1 Japanese cucumber, unpeeled, cut into 1/4' slices
2 ripe tomatoes (Roma preferred), diced or sliced
1 bell pepper (red, yellow, or orange, NOT green)
1 small fennel bulb (optional)
2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup Tuscan Herb Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. Dried oregano or Italian Herb Dipping Blend
freshly cracked black pepper
½ tsp. sea salt
Thoroughly wash all vegetable and greens. Dry them thoroughly.
- Pour lettuces and greens into a large bowl. Tear (DO NOT CUT!) into reasonable bite-size pieces if leaves are large.
- Using a mandolin (such as a Kyocera ceramic slicer) or sharp knife, thinly slice the carrot, fennel, onion and radish into the bowl. Sprinkle salt over the onion and radish.
- Slice cucumber and tomatoes. Add to bowl.
- Sprinkle dried Italian herbs over everything. At least 5 minutes before serving, drizzle olive oil and vinegars over everything. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss gently with gloved hands.
- Let dressed salad rest 5-10 minutes before serving.
Variations: Add arugula, fresh thyme or marjoram, or whatever raw vegetables and herbs you fancy. If you can find watermelon radishes, these are a beautiful addition when sliced very thin.
From the heart and imagination of Rebecca Woodland, The Blonde Vegetarian. https://rebeccawoodland.net